Is that glitter?! It sure is, friends. It’s that micro super fine kind of glitter. Its power of stickiness is even stronger than that of regular glitter! I expect to be seeing this on my skin for centuries to come.
I had a square canvas laying around that was looking a bit banged up. Rather than throw it out, I decided to make a quick little something to hang on my office wall. Quick, fun, and easy were my “must haves” for this painting.
Below, I’ve listed the items you will need and coordinating affiliate links to products that I think are cost effective and fit the needs for this project and projects similar to this one.
A canvas (any size, I used 8″) – https://amzn.to/2tsOpyN
White acrylic paint – https://amzn.to/2Nhh82z
A second color of acrylic paint (I used two shades of pink)
paint brush – https://amzn.to/2ElvUT2
Sponge brush – (PSA: sponge brushes are crazy cheap; do not pay more than $5.00 for a package of them). https://amzn.to/2XfJjng
white glue (I used Elmer’s Craft Bond) – https://amzn.to/2XeDoPa
a small dish with about 2 tsp. of water in it
- Paint your entire canvas white.
- Paint half of your canvas the second color you’ve chosen. I used two shades of pink to give it a more streaky look. This absolutely does not need to be done neatly. I think mine isn’t messy enough and could use some splatter.
- Add about 1 Tbsp. of white glue to a small dish and mix in 2 tsp of water. Thoroughly mix this until you have a runny glue.
- Using a sponge brush, apply your glue mixture to the middle of your canvas.
- While the glue is still wet, add glitter. The amount of glue you add is entirely up to you. I used a decent amount because I wanted a lot of sparkle. If you’ve committed to using glitter, you’ve accepted that it’s going to be messy, so go big!
- Let your painting dry completely.
You can leave your painting as is or add a monogram with some vinyl or paint. I will do a tutorial on this in the future.
Let me know if you tried this and how you liked it. I think it would be a great project to do with the kiddos as it provides relatively immediate project gratification. My eight inch square canvas took me approximately ten to fifteen minutes to complete.
Don’t forget to check out my YouTube video for the tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-SyExiGTA